Selected all your options? Now click here >>
Quick contact

Tax Disc Changes - A Quick Guide

From Wednesday 1st October 2014, the UK paper tax disc will be retired after 93 years of service, in favour of a new electronic system. A system that should make it harder for people to avoid paying road tax, due to Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras replacing visual tax disc checks. But how does this affect you…

YOU CAN REMOVE THE TAX DISC FROM YOUR WINDSCREEN! This means that from the 1st October, you will no longer be required to display a tax disc in your windscreen, even if it expires after this date. However, we do recommend keeping the disc in a safe place in case of any complications.

YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY ROAD TAX! Despite the tax disc becoming a thing of the past, you’re still liable to pay road tax. The DVLA will send you a reminder when your tax is due for renewal in the usual way. You will then need to pay for it either online, over the phone or at the Post Office, but you will not receive another tax disc.

YOU CAN PAY MONTHLY BY DIRECT DEBIT! The current road tax bands will remain the same, as will the current 6 and 12 month upfront renewals. However, the new system will allow you to pay for your tax automatically, by direct debit, meaning you will never forget to renew. In addition to this, you will be able to pay for your road tax monthly. This will incur a 5% surcharge, but that is still less than the 10% surcharge added for 6 months tax, an option that 23% of motorists currently use.

IF YOU SELL YOU CAR, YOU WILL GET A REFUND! The new system has also changed the process of selling a vehicle, as it will no longer be possible to transfer tax over to a new owner. Instead, the seller will need to notify the DVLA of any sale. It is vitally important that this is done immediately, as the seller could face a fine of up to £1000 and be liable for any speeding or parking fines incurred by the new owner. The DVLA will issue an automatic refund for any full months of road tax remaining, when they are notified that a car has been sold, scrapped, exported or taken off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

IF YOU BUY A SECOND HAND CAR YOU MUST BUY NEW ROAD TAX! As a buyer of a second hand vehicle, you will therefore be required to purchase new road tax. You will be able to do this at the same time as registering the vehicle, by completing the ‘New Keeper Supplement’. Alternatively, you can purchase it online at the DVLAs website or by contacting them by telephone.

Share this article Post this page to facebookTweet this pageGoogle+ this pagePost this page to LinkedinPin page

Posted on 27th April 2015 at 8:39 AM

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Close this message.